Hospice Aide Jobs: CNA and CHHA Jobs at VITAS
Be a Difference Maker, Earn a Payout.
Home health aides are Difference Makers: They're at the heart of everything we do, providing excellent care at the bedside each and every day with Commitment, Compassion, and a Can-Do Attitude.
That’s why, after 12 months of active service, home health aides working 20 or more hours a week can receive a lump-sum payout in recognition of their support and dedication to our patients and their fellow team members.
Talk to your recruiter today to learn more and see if you qualify.
What Does a CNA or CHHA Do at VITAS?
Caring for patients nearing end of life means being able to make a meaningful difference every single day. At VITAS Healthcare, certified nursing assistants (CNAs) and certified home health aides (CHHAs) do this important work, filling the crucial role of hospice aide on our interdisciplinary care teams.
“You have to be a really good listener, be caring and very dedicated.”-Angela Suratt, VITAS hospice aide
VITAS hospice aides are key members of each patient’s team. They are committed to their patients, and work alongside peers who are just as passionate. They live their purpose providing direct, personal care to hospice patients and serving as valuable resources for patients’ families.
An aide’s role is personally gratifying and professionally fulfilling. At VITAS, it is brimming with opportunities for a satisfying long-term career and unlimited possibilities for career advancement.
The entire VITAS team is driven by compassion and a desire to make a positive impact in the lives of hospice patients and their families. It is inspiring to be part of that.
CNA and CHHA Job Description
A certified hospice aide provides personal care in a patient’s preferred setting, whether at home, in a nursing home, assisted living facility (ALF), eldercare facility, or a community partner’s inpatient care setting.
Dedicated to a patient’s personal care, hospice aides:
- Help with the patient’s personal hygiene, including bathing, dressing, grooming, and oral/mouth care
- Perform light housekeeping pertaining to the patient, such as making the patient’s bed or tidying the patient’s immediate environment
- Act as the “eyes and ears” on the patient for the broader hospice team
The ideal hospice aide has a can-do attitude and is a flexible “people person”—a caring individual and a compassionate healthcare professional whose daily responsibilities might shift as patients’ needs change and evolve.
What’s the Difference Between a CNA and a CHHA?
While the CNA and CHHA designations are quite similar, they require different training. VITAS hires for both disciplines.
- A CNA must complete a formal training program and pass a state exam. CNAs usually care for more than one patient in a variety of settings, including ALFs, nursing homes, patients’ homes, and hospitals.
- A CHHA requires no specific background, education, or experience and can be trained on the job by registered nurses (RNs) or licensed practical nurses (LPNs). CHHAs usually care for one or only a few patients at a time, usually in the patient’s home or retirement community.
The Benefits of Working as a Hospice Aide for VITAS
As a VITAS hospice aide, you enjoy:
- Support from a professional team and approachable, present leaders who focus on you and on optimal patient-centered care
- Control of your patient schedule, so you can see your patients when they need to be seen
- Working for a people-first company that attracts exceptional employees and supports your professional goals with technology, learning opportunities, and resources that complement your daily work
- Tuition reimbursement to gain new skills or support a career transition to other positions and roles at the nation’s leading hospice provider
- Mentorship and support from an entire team of hospice professionals—physician, nurse, social worker, chaplain, bereavement specialist, and volunteer
What’s It Like to Be a Hospice Aide?
Here are some of the benefits offered to VITAS employees:
- 401(k) match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Life insurance
- Roadside assistance